Home forums Getting Started and Troubleshooting PiShield and HifiBerry Compatibility

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jpf31
    Participant

Hello there!
    A question now on the compatibility between PiShield and Hifiberry boards.
    Please find here after Hifiberry description of GPIO use:

HiFiBerry DAC+, Digi+ and Amp+
    GPIO2-3 (pins 3 and 5) are used by our products for configuration. If you are experienced with I2C, you might add other slave devices. If you a a novice, we don’t recommend this at all.
    GPIOs 18-21 (pins 12, 35, 38 and 40) are used for the sound interface. You can’t use them for any other purpose.

Can you tell me if it is compatible with PiShield, as my project needs both. I was not able to get the answer with PiShield wiring diagram.

I thank you very much in advance.
    Best regards
    jp

Johnty
    Keymaster

Hi JP,

First of all, apologies for the delayed response – looks like notifications are not being sent, so I’ll be working on that…

I think it should be fine to use your Hifiberry along with the PiShield.

We’ve uploaded the pinout configuration to pinout.xyz where you can see the exact pins used.

Note that the GPIO2-3 are technically “not used” since they’re simply exposing the I2C bus, and as long as your other devices do not use the same I2C addresses as the sensors you’re using, it should be fine!

Johnty

jpf31
    Participant

Hi Johnty,

Thank you very much for your answer. Yes it should be fine and I just ordered the PiShield. So I will see on site soon!
    AS I will be using other stuff on the I2C bus, could you tell me which are the adresses of sensors connected to the Digital I2C ports of the PiShield? Is there any mean to change this adresses in case of.. ?

Thank you very much again
    Best regards
    jp

Johnty
    Keymaster

Hi JP,

By default there are no extra digital sensors built into the PiShield, so you shouldn’t have any address conflicts when adding another device. As you add your own sensors, you should just check to make sure it doesn’t conflict with the HiFiBerry’s address. Some sensors allow you to change their address, while others don’t – so it depends on what you’re using.

A handy command-line tool you can use is

i2cdetect -y 1

Which will spit out the i2c devices currently attached. You can do this with one new sensor at a time to verify that it’s working on the i2c bus and also see what its address is!

Johnty

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.